The Tŝilhqot’in Nation housing strategy is more than just housing – it is a way to increase the well-being and success of our people through the work we do. At TNG we want to create training that directly connects to employment opportunities in housing & infrastructure. It is the Tŝilhqot’in Housing, Infrastructure and Training departments main objective to help support, empower, and assist in overcoming barriers and develop construction trades training opportunities for local indigenous peoples.
The need for trades people in the Tŝilhqot’in territory is increasing and by training people for these jobs we will be preparing to keep our members employed in our communities and creating more economic opportunities for our communities.
Carpentry Foundation Training Program
This is the beginning of an apprenticeship toward becoming a Red Seal Journeyperson in Carpentry. The program introduces you to all aspects of the trades including but not limited to:
- Hand tools
- Portable power tools
- Other equipment used by carpenters
Students through the construction of a residential wood-frame project are given the opportunity to work with:
- Panel products
- Fasteners & hardware
Click here to learn more about this training program, start dates, admission requirements, living supports and the application process.
Program Photo Gallery
Check out our photo gallery and see what it could be like in the classrooom. Can you see yourself here?
Meet the 1st Year Students & Faculty
And so the adventure begins…
Congratulations to our first ever class of graduates from the Carpentry Foundations Training Program. You all worked so hard, overcame challenges along the way and pushed through in order to graduate. The TNG is proud of you! You are an inspiration to others and are paving the way for future students who never thought it possible to be where you stand now. We hold our hands up to you and your accomplishments and look forward to seeing all that you become for yourself, your family, and your nation.
Click to watch the graduation ceremony!
The gift of hearing a story is empowering and awakening the spirit within. We are all beautifully diverse and rich in experiences that shape who we’ve been, who we are today and who we dream of becoming. Sharing a story invites you to take a brief moment to step into a new pair of boots and take a journey through someone else’s eyes. We hope you enjoy them as much as we do. Join the conversation #TNGourstories.
Current Training Opportunities and Apprentice Opportunities
We are always working on expanding training opportunities in the Housing & Infrastructure department. Check out below for more information on current training and apprentice opportunities. Click the calendar below to stay informed on upcoming registration, program start dates, orientations, and other things. Please check back for future dates!
Types of Jobs
The following trades jobs listed are under the umbrella of housing and infrastructure. We are looking to possibly expand our training to include these in the future. Check out the fantastic links below for further description and videos of what these trades people do.
- Plumber – Install, repair and maintain plumbing equipment for water use and disposal in houses & commercial buildings.
- Hazmat– Identifies and removes asbestos, mold, lead, waste oils, contaminated soil and other hazardous materials for processing, storage or safe disposal.
- Heating Contractor– Install, maintains and makes repairs to heating, refrigeration and air conditioning systems in residential, commercial and industrial properties.
- Traffic Control Person– Also known as a flag person. Their role is to protect workers in construction zones by using a flag to signal motorists and keep traffic flowing.
- Solar Installer– Assembles solar panels on homes and commercial properties.
- Drywaller– Measure, cut, prepare, fit and attach gypsum sheets (drywall) to wall studs and ceilings.
- Energy Advisor– Helps homeowners interested in improving their homes energy efficiency and can provide energy audits of overall performance of a home.
- Home Inspector– Conducts inspections on residential properties for hazards or structural defects. Looks at the interior and exterior parts of a home such as the foundation, electrical, plumbing, and water quality.
- Electrician – Can troubleshoot electrical problems, as well as, prepare and assemble electrical wiring for various fixtures/devices in homes and structures.
- Carpenter – In general follows blueprint/building plans to construct, install, fasten, and make repairs typically to wooden frameworks like walls, floors and door frames. Carpenters can also assist with planning, drafting and other calculations related to housing construction projects. We are hiring now.
- General Labourers & Construction helpers – Typically assist with loading and unloading of tools and construction materials. You may be asked to install/remove forms and scaffolding, or help with various types of digging, filling and general tasks required on a construction site. We are hiring now.
- Roofer – specializes in the removal and installation or repairs of roofing materials like asphalt, wood, and metals.
Take our training survey!
TNG has the opportunity to offer training in the field of trades and construction. We would first like to hear from you. What are some areas of training that you would be interested in participating in? Please fill out this confidential survey. Please be assured that all information collected is confidential and password protected. All information gathered will be kept in secure storage. In appreciation of your time filling out this survey we will be drawing a name for a new iPad Mini with a case. Please stay tuned for updates on when this will be drawn.
Four reasons why you should follow our social media platforms:
- We keep you up to date, informed, aware and inspired
- You and your voice matter. We care and value hearing from you
- We want you to be successful in all areas of life
- We have fun and can be silly too
We are currently working on expanding our social media platforms. Keep checking back to see when these are launched.