Water Quality & Quantity Monitoring Program
The water quality and quantity monitoring program was identified as a priority by Tŝilhqot’in leadership and is part of TNG’s 5-year Fisheries Action Plan. TNG Fisheries Department staff and Leadership worked together to select monitoring locations based on Nation-wide interests and objectives. Three critical salmon nursery areas were identified in the Tŝilhqox (Chilko), Dasiqox (Taseko), and Cheẑqox (Chilcotin) river system. The site locations also complement existing stations operated by government agencies such as Environment Canada, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, and the Water Survey of Canada (e.g. the Marguerite Station and on the ʔElhdaqox [Fraser River] near ʔEsdilagh) and will contribute to more comprehensive water monitoring in the region.
From site selection, to field work, to data ownership and management, the WQQ program is designed and led by and for the Tŝilhqot’in Nation and member communities. It supports Tŝilhqot’in capacity building, timely access to high quality data, and leadership in water governance and management – all critical to proactive decision making on water and responding to climate change and other impacts on fish, habitat, and overall watershed health.
- Build Tŝilhqot’in capacity on water issues
- Install 8-10 initial stations in critical Tŝilhqot’in salmon nursery areas, as identified in collaboration with TNG Leadership
- Establish indicators for watershed health, including climate change impacts
- Complement existing government monitoring stations for more comprehensive water monitoring
- Build Tŝilhqot’in data sovereignty (ownership and control of data)
2021 Program Timeline
April – June: Site evaluation and staff training for new monitoring stations
July: Installation of monitoring stations
Fall: Active monitoring of critical Tŝilhqot’in salmon nursery areas, and opportunities for site visits. We look forward to bringing community members out to see the station in action!
This project is supported through the Healthy Watersheds Initiative, which is delivered by the Real Estate Foundation of BC and Watersheds BC.
- TNG Water Quality & Quantity Brochure (2021)
- Tŝilhqot’in Territory – Cultural & Traditional Places (Map)