The Tŝilhqot’in National Government was established in 1989 to meet the needs and represent the Tŝilhqot’in Nation and Tŝilhqot’in communities of Tl’etinqox, ʔEsdilagh, Yuneŝit’in, Tŝideldel, Tl’esqox and Xeni Gwet’in in their strive to re-establish a strong political government structure.
The communities work as a Nation to continue the fight of our six war Chiefs of 1864. The war Chiefs stood against the Canadian Government in an effort to gain Tŝilhqot’in Aboriginal Rights and Title to the lands we call Tŝilhqot’in.
TNG has a dedicated obligation to its people to establish programs that reflect Tŝilhqot’in culture and customs in every aspect of governance.
The role of TNG administration is to carry out the wishes of Tŝilhqot’in citizens through their respected Chieftainship. The TNG continues to advocate on behalf of all Tŝilhqot’in citizens regardless of the many labels Foreign Governments place on its membership.
The Tŝilhqot’in National Government (founded by the Chiefs of the Tŝilhqot’in Communities) is an association of autonomous member bands. All member bands retain their individuality and freedom of action when joining the Tŝilhqot’in National Government. The primary purposes of the Tŝilhqot’in National Government are to:
- Encourage, facilitate and work towards improving the unity and cooperation amongst member bands and between itself and other First Nation governments;
- Promote and facilitate the social and economic well being of the Tŝilhqot’in peoples and to do all such legal acts as are considered advisable to encourage the heritage, culture and education of the Tŝilhqot’in peoples;
- Assist and/or support member bands, collectively and separately, to achieve their goals in all areas including but not necessarily limited to: self government, aboriginal rights, land claims and economic, social, cultural, educational development and environmental protection;
- Assist and act on behalf of member bands at the request of and under the direction of member bands; and
- Protect and preserve the Tŝilhqot’in cultural traditions, land and resources, respecting each community’s process.
The Tŝilhqot’in National Government will endeavour to accomplish its purpose by providing the highest quality community programs and community services, as well as strong effective leadership, thus providing support and guidance to Tŝilhqot’in Communities.
The philosophy of the Tŝilhqot’in National Government is based on traditional Tŝilhqot’in beliefs and values.
Tŝilhqot’in traditional community life provides a sense of belonging, acceptance, sharing and respect for its individuals and families. If these values and beliefs are encouraged and embraced, then trust and interdependence will grow and help to foster strong communities, families and supportive individuals strengthening the Nation.
The focus of the Tŝilhqot’in National Government will be to help Tŝilhqot’in Communities in their development through the use of a strong cultural and spiritual base, the understanding of traditional values and beliefs, and through the development of positive attitudes and skills while balancing contemporary and traditional life styles.