The Tŝilhqot’in National Government provided rustic group lodging to evacuees from the 2023 wildfires in B.C. The group lodging is now closed.
Our Nation faced wildfires in 2017 and knows what it is like to be forced from your home and territory. The Tŝilhqot’in Chiefs are honoured to welcome you to our land for you to find the space and time needed to work through this traumatic experience. Our staff and people will be on site to welcome you and make you feel at home.
There are two ways to come to this site:
- Emergency Support Services recommends it to you; and/or
- Your Community has accepted an invitation from the Tŝilhqot’in and is recommending that you join us.
What to Bring
The rustic group lodging site is cold at night and hot in the day. You will be sleeping in tents. Please make sure to bring clothing for all types of weather. If you do not have a sleeping bag or pillow then one will be provided to you.
Pets are welcome at the group lodging. We ask that they remain on the leash and have food provided by yourself.
Where do I go?
Below is a map and instructions to the site from Williams Lake, B.C.
- From Cariboo Memorial Recreation Complex in Williams Lake, travel west (left) along Proctor St. to 3rd Ave. N. (2 blocks).
- Turn left onto 3rd Ave. N. and travel to Oliver St. (2 blocks, advance left turn signal at Oliver St. junction)
- Turn left onto Oliver St. and follow it for 950m to the main junction of Highway 20 and Highway 97.
- Turn right (west) onto Highway 20 and follow it for 44.8 km to the Evacuation Lodging Site access road (2272 Race Track Road).This turn-off is 500m west of the Tl’esqox (Toosey) turn-off. If you enter Riske Creek, you have traveled 2.5km too far. Turn around.
- Turn right onto the Emergency Lodging Site access road and follow it for 500m to the Riske Creek Evacuation Lodging check-in. Keep right at the gate at 280m.
If you are on your way out to the group lodging, or have questions please contact:
- Camp Manager: 250-305-1833; and/or
- Communications Tent: 250-302-3893
Please keep in mind that there is no cell service along Highway 20 (between Williams Lake and the rustic group lodging site). There are TELUS wi-fi services available at the group lodging site along with charging stations and a television.